World Food Safety Day observance on 7 June 2021 aims to draw attention and inspire action to help prevent, detect and manage foodborne risks, contributing to food security, human health, economic prosperity, agriculture, market access, tourism and sustainable development.
This year’s theme, ‘Safe food today for a healthy tomorrow’, stresses that production and consumption of safe food has immediate and long-term benefits for people, the planet and the economy. Recognizing the systemic connections between the health of people, animals, plants, the environment and the economy will help us meet the needs of the future.
Calls to action
1. Ensure it’s safe – Government must ensure safe and nutritious food for all
2. Grow it safe – Agriculture and food producers need to adopt good practices
3. Keep it safe – Business operators must make sure food is safe
4. Know what’s safe – Consumers need to learn about safe and healthy food
5. Team up for food safety – Work together for safe food and good health
Together we make food safe: One Health approach
This year, on the occasion of World Food Safety Day 2021, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and, World Food Programme (WFP) will host a joint regional food safety event on 3 June 2021 from 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (ICT, Bangkok time).
The event will focus on the holistic “One Health” approach for food safety, which recognizes the connection between the health of people, animals and the environment.
- Engage the public and private sectors as well as the general public to take action to ensure that food remains safe from production to consumption.
- Inspire everyone to learn more about the one health approach to food safety.
Published on 7 June 2021
Last Updated: 7 June 2021